03 July 2023

Rest days

It still seems surprising that I can sit on my arse most of the day and still run out of time to do the blog.
Anyway:
Rest days are not as straight forward as they first seem.
You would expect after a couple of days off that things would be flying on the return. But unfortunately there is a little more to it than that, and so to that end I don't look forward to the paddling day tomorrow.
On the other hand though I do look forward to getting back into the boat and doing what I do. I enjoy the nav and the ongoing decision making, I like to watch the distance numbers drop away, I enjoy the small feeling of accomplishment as each waypoint and landmark falls behind and I really do like to be away from the needless crap and clutter of day to day life.
Yes, it will be good to get back in the boat.

I must mention Eileen and Michael at the Wyvern Guest House who have been so friendly and helpful - along with providing the biggest breakfast in Bude!

I've stayed in all sorts of places on this trip: wild camping, campsite, B+Bs and 'hotels'. While the standard of the campsites has varied between very good to pretty poor (with little correlation to price paid) the standard of all the B+Bs has pleasingly been very high. And once again it comes down to the people; I'm not too fussed what facilities are available, as long as I don't have to sleep standing up then I don't look for much more than a friendly welcome and a decent breakfast.

Of course a spot to store 5.5m of red and white plastic is also a useful distinguishing characteristic too.

Sent from my phone

No comments: